Golders Green in north-west London (NW11) is a thriving suburb full of contrasts as two very different neighbourhoods fall within its precincts.
Firstly, there’s Golders Green itself, home to a large Jewish community as well as in recent years a growing Chinese and Japanese population. This cosmopolitan mix is reflected in the area’s multicultural amenities that range from kosher delis, to Sushi restaurants and a Korean supermarket.
Then there’s leafy Hampstead Garden Suburb one of the country’s most celebrated and visionary early-20th century housing developments. This pioneering suburb, with its mix of quiet residential streets and green spaces, was the brainchild of philanthropist Dame Henrietta Barnett who wanted to create a community where people of all classes and incomes could live side by side.
Golders Green busy streets belie the fact that it was a small hamlet, named after the 13th century Godyere family who lived here, until the1907 arrival of the tube led to a substantial population growth.
- Golders Green and Brent Cross (Zone 3) on the Edgware branch of the Northern line service the area.
- Golders Green bus station is a major hub with the 13 to Aldwych via Oxford Circus; the 82 to Victoria via Marble Arch; the 102 to Brent Cross, and the 328 to Chelsea via Kensington High Street.
- National Express coaches also stop at the bus station before/after central London.
FOOD & DRINK
- Carmelli – Jewish bakery famous for its bagels.
- Cafe Japan – Serves tasty noodles and sushi.
- The Garden Café – Fabulous café in the heart of park with large gardens.
- The Old Bull & Bush – Gastro pub with open fires, cosy corners and comfy armchairs.
- Fiore d’Olivo – Delicious Italian that serves pizza and pasta dishes.
- The Castle – Great for a sociable drink as well as its regular pub quiz.
THINGS TO DO
- Brent Cross Shopping centre – Home to over 2,000 leading and designer brands and 120 stylish stores.
- LA Fitness – Private gym has a swimming pool.
- Hampstead Heath – Go for a swim in one of the park’s three outdoor ponds.
- Golders Hill Park – Features a children’s zoo, butterfly house, ponds, walled gardens and a golf driving and putting range.
- Hampstead Garden Suburb Gallery – See the work of local artists and maybe even buy a piece or two for your home.